Hey I'm Babel! They promoted me to be VirtuLApp's mascot!
Want to play a little language quiz?
Just now
Quizmaster Babel
Active now


Virtual Language App

September 2019 – November 2019

VirtuLApp is now a year old and the partners met in October to review progress and plan for the coming months. October was also the month when we organised our first multiplier event in Ghent, Belgium hosted by Luca School of Arts. This was a workshop which featured both the first drafts of several project outputs as well as short taster type workshops on all sorts of related topics, from creating your own AR and video resources to running multilingual activities in the class. Quite a few interested people took part from Belgium and abroad and we will build our community of project interest based on those who took part. We also went live with our quiz which is now open to everyone on the front page of this site as well as publishing our first video.

June 2019 – August 2019

Over the summer months, the teams working on the quiz, the game and the videos have all continued to develop their outputs which are really starting to take shape. Multilingual versions of the quiz were worked on in order to ensure it would be ready in September. We also expanded the FAQs we are working on with the input of several teachers and other people interested in multilingual teaching in primary schools. In June we also had one of our first dissemination opportunities when VirtuLApp was presented during a poster session at the 40th International Linguistics Conference organised by the University of Groningen (The Netherlands).

March 2019 – May 2019

It’s been a busy couple of months for the VirtuLApp consortium as many of our outputs start to take shape. The team in Luca School of Arts have moved forward quite considerably with our game and the several different story lines were considered by the project team as a whole. Our final decision is a mix of 3 previously discussed concepts based on the story of the Babas – more will be revealed soon! The stakeholder analysis is quite far advanced and we now have a list of about 20 questions to be included in the FAQ. So too is the quiz which will be finalised after the summer and made ready for translation. The first video recording has been edited and plans for the next recording to be made in Belgium are underway based on the experiences of our first recording in Joure. We have also agreed to organise our first multiplier event on 17-18 October when we will be presenting the quiz and a pilot version of the game.

December 2018 – February 2019

The first draft of our quiz was circulated in December and we spent the initial part of this period also getting our communication channels in order including our online meetings. By January the first steps in game development were underway aided by the enthusiastic input of students in LUCA school of Arts. Schools in the Netherlands where we can record video for the video component of the project were also identified in February and we plan to make our first recordings in March. Both the project dissemination and quality control plans were finalised in this period and we also managed to work on our first progress report by the end of February.

September 2018 – November 2018

September 2018 was when we formally launched the VirtuLApp project with our enthusiastic group of partners and spent the first couple of weeks sharing project information along with administrative guidelines from the European Commission. Our first project meeting to plan the project took place in Leeuwarden, the Netherlands on 15 – 16 October 2018 and was hosted by the project leader, Mercator European Research Centre. All partners were represented at the meeting and we spent a busy two days working on our plans.  We used the time after the meeting to share resources and materials that could be useful as well as launching the work for the project dissemination and quality control plans.